Sales Language: Is Your Verbal Matching Your Nonverbal

Often times as a salesperson, particularly as a beginner, you never really put much thought into whether or not your words match your bodily actions. Communication is more than just words. Communication in its simplest form consists of a source transmitting a message to a receiver. In every conversation, the person selling needs to win the trust of the buyer or the listener. Studies show that only 7% of communication is verbal, the other 93% is nonverbal. This is why it’s imperative to consider your nonverbal communication. Nonverbal communication is comprised of tone of voice and body language.


The words you say only go so far. That is why it’s important to consider how you’re saying them. In the realm of sales, having a happy and energetic tone is much more effective than sounding bored. Even when you’re not feeling happy at the moment, speaking with a happy and energetic tone will result in more success. There is a phrase called “pack mentality”, simply meaning that the audience mirrors vibes and nonverbal messages being given off by the presenter.

Cater your speech, presentation or demonstration to the type of audience you have. Gesturing from the chest raises oxygen levels, energy levels and gets the blood pumping. Higher raised hands equal a higher inflection in your voice. Simply smiling when speaking adds a bit of friendliness to your presence and makes a buyer just a little more willing to listen and not feel as if they’re being forced into buying.


Your tone of voice is only one piece of your nonverbal communication. Body language says a lot to the person you’re communicating with despite the absence of words. If your body language doesn’t match your tone of voice, you won’t be convincing to the prospective customer. It is important to maintain good posture, which expresses confidence. Also, remember to maintain eye contact and smile often. Don’t drop your hands below your waist region. It naturally slows the body, drops your oxygen levels and overall enthusiasm. In addition, your amount of energy decreases. Never hide the “Horizontal Plane of Disclosure” (specifically the jawline and mouth area or any part of the facial region). Inject excitement into gestures. Speak from the “Truth Plane at all Times.” The truth plane is the area just below the chest to navel area. It is a sign of honesty. Stand upright; bring your hands just above your navel, fingers gently interlaced and barely touching your stomach. Implement these tips and see how they work for you!

Related Posts:

Are you ready?

We only work with the most determined and passionate leaders. If you want to close more deals, multiply your revenue, and scale your business, we’re ready to take action.

Subscribe to stay ahead

Apply for Sales Language: Is Your Verbal Matching Your Nonverbal

Accepted file types: jpeg, jpg, gif, png, pdf, Max. file size: 50 MB.

Book Discovery Call

Complete the form and briefly describe your sales challenge and we’ll
organize a discovery call.


"*" indicates required fields

Step 1 of 8

1. ➛ Are you aware 73% of Founder led sales teams turnover four sales leaders before finding a competent one?